Welcome to The Sports Simpleton! Here we provide you with daily news feeds, scores, and links to all things baseball in NYC. Take a few minutes to read some articles, follow a few links, or just stare at the pretty pictures. Our news feeds are updated regularly, so continue to check back for your Yankees/Mets (or was that supposed to be Mets/Yankees) news and information.

New York Post Articles

NY Times Articles

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Fantasy Baseball

*update-season ended and I did end up in first place...I'm sure it was pure luck.

This week ends my first fantasy baseball season. Yes, first. I've been around it all my life, friends, family. I just always chose to stay away. Now I know why. I am a fiddler. I fiddle with lineups. I fiddle with stats. I've made close to 200 roster changes in this season. I'm specifically NOT doing fantasy football this year because, well, there's not enough opportunity for fiddling like there is in a daily fantasy baseball league.

Now all that fiddling has put me in first place...Or maybe despite all that fiddling I'm in first place, I'm not sure. I've had a successful season...and here's a few reasons why;

1) I picked first in the draft. A-Rod. A great long term option at third.

2) A-Rod got himself hurt and I needed another third basemen. Who is this Longoria kid?

3) I am a fan of the lowly Texas Rangers, so Hamilton, Young, and Kinsler were automatics. By the way, the Rangers are far from the best team in baseball, but their fantasy numbers are incredible. Don't forget that next year.

4) Baseball is a streaky sport. I focused on the 7 day and 15 day stat-lines to make roster decisions.

5) I love free agency. In a shallow league, you can almost use it like a bench.

I also made quite a few mistakes...but you don't need to know about those, right?? It was a lot of fun for the last 5 months, and I will definitely be doing it again next year. I think I already have my draft set...

No comments: